Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Guests Make it Special


From day one I have loved volunteering at the Fox Cities P.A.C. I volunteer a lot through other organizations and volunteer activities, feeling good knowing I helped others in need with my use of time, talents or donations. However my favorite is volunteering for the Center.

As a volunteer I love to see the faces of children coming in for the first time all dressed up for their night out, hearing comments from other guests about the beautiful facility or the intermission comments about how “awesome the show is so far.” Especially during Wicked when everyone comes out right after "Defying Gravity" – so many guests had tears in their eyed, which of course would cause me to tear up (just try to look professional as you’re wiping tears from your eyes). Even just helping someone find their way around can be an experience based on their questions and comments.

A standout moment for me was a couple years back when we had an “oldies” group in – I believe it was the music of Glenn Miller or something like that. I was assigned as a volunteer on Family Circle. On the end of one of the rows sat an elderly couple. At intermission he talked to me a bit. He was 84 and his wife was 82. They were celebrating their 60th anniversary. It was so cute just watching those two, he would sneak his arm up around her shoulder every once in a while and snuggle like two kids in school. I had a smile on my face all night watching them.  How cool to be a part of not just a night out, but an “experience” that could take them back to a time in their lives that was obviously so special and filled with memories.

It’s the interaction with the guests that make it special.

Kathy Ducharme